Re: General Status of SPF

2004-02-26 15:39:26

On Feb 26, 2004, at 13:54, David Woodhouse wrote:
Similar logic applies to my decision whether to publish SPF records for
my domains. If I publish records, then my users may not be able to send
mail to third parties who, in accordance with well-established practice,
forward their mail from some virtual domain or forwarding account to
their 'actual' current email address.

David,

Forgive my ignorance but my reading of the SPF spec says that publishing an SPF record does not have this kind of side affect. People who require forwarding to a vanity domain have the choice to use SPF or not at their email destination. That your publishing the SPF record for your domain does not preclude the forward. In other words, a different envelope sender is used by the forwarding host. And the user requiring forwarding needs to either not use SPF checking or whitelist his/her forwarder or implement something like SRS to reliably allow this transaction. Not advertising your preferred senders appears to hurt you and your users with the dubious result of maybe helping email providers that cannot implement a proper SPF check or policy.

This looks like a non-problem. The recipient is choosing to use an SPF record without using a forwarding mechanism to protect his/her own mail. Is that really your problem? If you asked your users if they would prefer that you protect this class of users at another ISP at the expense of allowing joe-jobbers, et. al., would they really agree with you? In my very small community mail service, I cannot imagine that one of my users would prefer that I protect the ability of an external to our community user's ability to poorly use SPF and accept joe-jobbing as the consequence.

Finally, I thought that the idea of enforcing SPF incrementally allowed these vanity domains and forwarded services to learn how to use SPF correctly? That there is only a win-win in starting to help SMTP gain sender authentication?

Andrew

Andrew W. Donoho
awd(_at_)DDG(_dot_)com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)