Re: General Status of SPF

2004-02-27 13:52:01
On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:19:19AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 11:57 +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
You/your user creates a problem (youruser(_at_)somewhereelse fails) so why
should I deal with the resulting mess?

Why is this a 'mess'? Your user receives the bounce message (or
autoreply, etc.) as intended. In the Brave New World of SPF+SRS, that's
what would happen anyway.

I talk to you, you talk to someone else.  You deal with problems delivering
to someone else, I deal with problems delivering to you.  If you are
unreachable at someone else's domain, and if you bounce the message back
to me via your own server, I can live with that.

I may have firewalled someone else.  The reason does not matter, it is
my decision.  I don't expect bounces to come from someone else's domain,
I do not want to hear from them.

By the way: you are wrong.  See http://spf.pobox.com/srs.html right hand
side near the top of the article, starting with "Under the new system,".

Alex