Re: distinction between envelope "MAIL FROM" and header "from:"

2004-03-16 23:45:36
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:45:54PM -0500, Greg Cirino - Cirelle
Enterprises wrote:
| |
| | "MAIL FROM" aka. "envelope from" refers to the MAIL FROM: <xxx>
| | command  issued from one SMTP to another, and is different from the
| | "From:" header  in the mail.  Basically all headers (From, To, Cc,
| | Received, etc) are part  of the DATA command and could possibly be
| | different (either forged or just  different for some reason).
| |
| | The exception is often "Return-Path:" especially if it is near the top
| | of  the message, it was probably added by your own mailer, and
| | probably matches  the envelope from address.  (The exception is MAIL
| | FROM: <> which may  appear as Return-Path:
<MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)your(_dot_)system>)

--Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
Can people please suggest a way for me to improve the online
documentation to clarify and emphasize the distinction betwen envelope
"MAIL FROM" and header "From:"?

Feel free to copy what I wrote (or browse the archives for something)... though I'm sure there must be a faq out there somewhere we could link to.