Re: envelope from vs data from

2004-03-17 12:50:06
Lyndon Eaton wrote:

I think I'm correct saying that in a normal and legit email the MAIL
FROM: and From: addresses are likely to be the same.

I would disagree with this. What if I want bounces (which are delivered to the MAIL FROM:) to go to a different address than my From: or Reply-to:?

I use this with my C/R software to provide an envelope MAIL FROM: which will be valid for only 14 days, for bounces to go to. Then my Reply-to: is an address which is only valid for 30 days for the person to reply to. The From: is just my plain vanilla address because it looks nicer than cryptographic cookies, etc, and it can still be typed in by people to contact me.

I seem to remember that the From: is also checked by SMIME to validate the email's authenticity, which would be another reason for it to be perhaps different from the MAIL FROM: or Reply-to:. But I could be wrong about that.

--
Jim Ramsay
"Me fail English?  That's unpossible!"