Re: Re: envelope from vs data from

2004-03-18 16:52:29

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lyndon Eaton" <lyndon(_dot_)eaton(_at_)premierpc(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 12:33 PM
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Re: envelope from vs data from

I would like to use the Data From: field because it is the
one that is presented to the user.

I think I'm correct saying that in a normal and legit email the MAIL
FROM: and From: addresses are likely to be the same. The only genuine
reason I can think of off the top of my head for them being different
would be in the case of a mailing list like this one. In this email, the
From: would be me, but the MAIL FROM: would be listbox.com. As it's the
listbox IP sending the email to your server, the check should be done on
the MAIL FROM address against that IP.

Not for mailing lists. This turned into a *big* problem for me when I just
enabled full and fascist SPF filters on my external sendmail mail servers. I
do reaslize that it's possible to whitelist specific mailing list hosts by
putting them as authorized domains in your SPF records. I'm still thinking
about the best way to provide my users with their own whitelist capability
to go with SPF filtering. I'm afraid it will have to be done via procmail,
CRM114, Spamassassin, or the like on my internal systems and I won't be able
to simply bounce the messages outside, which sucks.

In fact, I was bouncing my posts to *this* list....