Re: Odd Behavior since 1.996

2004-03-19 13:39:39
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:03:01PM -0600, wayne wrote:
In
<5B734AC36BC9714EB88451E6E2F043B1156048(_at_)alaia01(_dot_)alaia(_dot_)net>
Marc Alaia <marc(_at_)alaia(_dot_)net> writes:

Guys,

I have seen some unexplained behavior since upgrading to MSQ 1.996 a couple
of days ago.  Specifically, my log shows two recent SPF Fail's, but the
domains in question do not have SPF records:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=atlaswebmail.com&type=TXT
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=Lamdforms.com&type=TXT

This is a known "feature" of M:S:Q 1.996.  Any time a host does not
exist (not just lacking a TXT record, but an NXDOMAIN), the SPF check
fails.  This is allowed under the SPF spec and was a change that was
discussed right before the spec went to the IETF.  Meng said that this
would be changed back in 1.997.

        Correct... And Lamdforms.com dies not appear to be registered..

No match for "LAMDFORMS.COM".

Last update of whois database: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:56:02 EST <<<

        And atlaswebmail.com seems to have had their registration locked
by Verisign and thus has no DNS servers list'd for the domain.

        I kind of like this 'feature' personally as it stops obvious
forged email which is the intent of SPF to stop forgeries that spammers
use to hide their identity.

This issue was discussed a fair amount about 2 weeks ago under the
subject of "A HELO Question".

        Regards,
        Jeremy