Re: SRS and secondary MX

2004-03-23 04:43:36
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

One of the mail servers I have installed SRS on is a secondary MX server
for several domains (using the scripts provided by Mark translated to
Python).  It is SRS encoding all mail that passes through
the machine.  It should not SRS encode mail that is simply getting
relayed.  But the map script doesn't have any way of knowing since it
doesn't know the recipient.  The milter has no way of altering envfrom.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps there is an argument to add a feature to SRS such that it never
rewrites mails _to_ a certain set of (local) target domains. This is
perhaps the equivalent of not running SRS on an outgoing mail smarthost.

However, I note that this problem only arises for people who do
unconditional SRS rewriting (of whom there are several), since it has
several undesirable consequences. You should NOT do unconditional SRS
rewriting. You should perform it only when expanding an alias or a
.forward file or explicitly rerouting a mail. Putting an SRS rewrite into
the "outgoing mail" stage is a bad idea.

S.

--
Shevek                                    http://www.anarres.org/
I am the Borg.                         http://www.gothnicity.org/