Re: AOL Spam down 27%

2004-03-25 15:49:12

On Thursday 25 March 2004 22:13, Marc Alaia wrote:
Tim, you do know that AOL is not checking SPF records at this time and
likely will take some time before they would implement it, right?  There is
literally no chance that you publishing an SPF record will provide any help
anytime soon.

Well no I didn't ... oh poo...

I'll put my lack-of-credentials up front, I'm just a s/w engineer(*), not a
network engineer, I have a vanity domain not a huge hosting company, and I
was somewhat hoping that when AOL said it was going to use SPF it might
consult it rather than just publish it.

What the hell, call me an impetuous fool, but I'll publish an SPF record
anyway (when I find a new hosting company) and encourage others to do the
same, I'll write my tar-pitting extension options to qpsmtp, I'll keep doing
what I can (and my suggestion on the qpsmtpd mailing lists has led to a few
interested parties too) and maybe someday we get somewhere...

--
Tim

(* - I know enough about TCP/IP and sockets to be vaguely dangerous, and have
designed and delivered enough reasonably-smart networked software, but I
won't claim to be a network engineer or competent sys-admin - I can walk my
way round my Mandrake/Windows home network etc but iptables and the like
still make me nervous)