Re: Minimal SPF implementation for mail receivers.

2004-04-02 19:23:16
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, wayne wrote:

The specification is the minimal implementation.  Where parsing and
interpreting are concerned, there are no optional parts.

I agree that the SPF spec is a good minimum.  It was designed that
way.  I know of no SPF implementation that doesn't try to support most
of the SPF spec, and most try to support all of it.

I agree too.  250 lines of code is really not that much.  I was just
trying to creatively answer the OPs question of what is the absolute bare
minimum you could implement and get some useful results (valid SPF
fails for some forged mail) without breaking anything.  The lack of
EXISTS for whitelists, etc, would simply result in "unknown" for
the minimalist implementation and no valid mail would be blocked.
That property reflects the robust design of SPF.

Another way to answer the question is just to say, "Take one of
reference implementations (C,Perl,Python) and plug it in."

Is there any demand for a Java version?

      "Very few of our customers are going to have a pure Unix
      or pure Windows environment." - Dennis Oldroyd, Microsoft Corporation