Minimal SPF implementation for mail receivers.

2004-04-02 10:06:53
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Gordon Fecyk wrote:

I asked for a minimum specification for a recieving server looking
to receive the minimum benefit from SPF.

Proposed minimal SPF implementations for mail receivers:

Level 0:

Check a subset of mechanisms: A, PTR, MX, ALL.  Be sure that "unknown"
results from an unrecognized mechanism.  Do not support macros.
Don't bother with Received-SPF.  Note that no recursion is required for the
minimal supported mechanisms.

Level 1:

Check recursive mechanisms and macros: INCLUDE, EXISTS.  Add Received-SPF
headers, for inspection by downstream software (e.g. bayesian filters will
learn to use SPF results other than 'fail', including 'neutral' and
'softfail', in recognizing spam).  Reject mail giving a 'fail' result with code
551 and the recipient (allows the mail sender to bypass a non-SRS forwarder).

      "Very few of our customers are going to have a pure Unix
      or pure Windows environment." - Dennis Oldroyd, Microsoft Corporation