Re: How to built an SPF record that is split in substrings?

2004-04-08 06:37:23
In <5885046(_dot_)1081384836(_at_)[10(_dot_)12(_dot_)1(_dot_)18]> Greg Connor
<gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org> writes:

                                                     I don't think
there are really such things as multiple substrings in a TXT record
once it is sent over the wire to a requester - I believe it will be
folded to a single long string in the response (and probably in the
transfer to a secondary also).

There are multiple substrings in a single TXT record.  See RFC1035.

The strings in a TXT record are a one-byte length followed by that
many bytes optionally followed by more substrings.

It appears that djbdns assumes that the length is a signed char and
therefore limits all strings to 127 bytes, while BIND assumes the
length is unsigned.

-wayne