Re: proposed adoption and rollout schedule

2004-04-13 11:16:01
On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 01:33:58PM -0400, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 19:39 -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
What do people think about the following proposed schedule?  Dates are
very approximate.  We start with the biggest obstacles.

April      Educate ISPs to start transitioning users to SMTP AUTH.
May    Educate forwarders and web-generated emailers about SRS.

This needs to include an update to RFC2821, making some form of sender
rewriting a MUST -- or at least a SHOULD. You can't move on until that's
done, IMO.

You will not get large-scale deployments of sender rewriting until you make
it dummy-proof.  I can't tell you how often I get large ISPs writing me in
private e-mail to figure out how we did something .. where we just followed
the instructions.

Like SMTP AUTH.  They are dozens if not hundreds of people out there that
have determined that SMTP AUTH doesn't work because they haven't got a clue
and can't make it work.  We've been using it for nearly 4 years now.

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett(_at_)Isite(_dot_)Net                                      Isite