Brute-forcing the domain space, and other updates

2004-04-15 03:59:52
Firstly, I don't know if anyone's done this in my absence - due to the failure of my home development system I've been hard-pressed to keep up with SPF since the start of the year. Fortunately that system is now back in operation, and I've been able to get back into the loop.

Two things I've done for SPF:

1) Implemented a selection of resilience and recovery measures on spf.infinitepenguins.net. It still has downtime, but it picks itself up and recovers - in particular, the problems with gaps and unavailablity in the takeup chart should (tempts fate) be resolved. I do still plan to move this site to a stronger server when PHP5 comes into full release.

2) Started to brute-force the 3- and 4-letter (ignoring digits & hyphens) tld space on another server. This comprises 17576 domains in each tld space (I believe that all 3-letter .tlds are registered, at least in the big 3?). Grep'ing the results of host -t for the string 'spf' gives the following counts:

???.com : 238 (1.35%)
???.net : 131 (0.74%)
???.org : not complete yet, but looks like it'll be more than .com

Extrapolate at will.

I'm also scanning the subject:s of the list for matters of interest - I suspect I'm unlikely to find time to read the whole thing.

All the best,

        Wechsler