Re: Security Paper on forgery bounce DDoS

2004-04-18 06:22:10
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, wayne wrote:

8) SES gives senders who adopt it immediate protection from bounce spam
while still accepting valid DSN's without anyone else adopting anything.
SPF+SRS requires wide adoption before achieving a significant reduction in
bounce spam.

True, and this is the thing I like about SES.  When I get time, I may
well use David Woodhouse's Exim patches to implement SES on my
system.

I am thinking about doing CBV only when there is no SPF record for the
claimed sending domain.  Does this sound like a reasonable policy?
It would encourage domains suffering from lots of CBV probes (with or
without SES) to publish SPF records.  I already do SES to prevent
bounce spam.

      "Very few of our customers are going to have a pure Unix
      or pure Windows environment." - Dennis Oldroyd, Microsoft Corporation