Re: Re: 'explain' etiquette, or is this a security concern?

2004-04-21 05:14:19
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 03:53:39PM -0400, John A. Martin wrote:
Resolving issues like this entails a balance between the usefulness of
the feature and the costs involved.  The costs of repeating
explanation text arise from implementation complexity and the ease of
a possibly minor (dirty tricks type) exploit balanced against
essentially duplicating capabilities that already exist elsewhere.

Maybe we can agree on a characterization of the costs and benefits of
repeating the explanation text?

I think part of the usefullness is that system administrators that are worried
about mail getting lost after their implementation of spf have the assurance
that at least, mail that gets rejected can be accompanied by a verbose message
with the reason. Is it really expensive to add 'dns of xxx.com said: ....' or
something, I think this was mentioned earlier on the list. Just add something
to the beginning to indicate where the message came from.

Koen

--
http://www.sonologic.nl/