RE: BASE64 encoding of SRS hash may not work with some mail servers

2004-05-05 18:58:49
40-bit hash =  7 base64 chars =  8 base32 chars = 10 hex chars
80-bit hash = 14 base64 chars = 16 base32 chars = 20 hex chars
120-bit hash = 21 base64 chars = 24 base32 chars = 30 hex chars

Since SRS recommends four base-64 digits, we're only talking about 24-bit
hashes.  Much ado about nothing, as the big guy said.

I believe the recommendation is a *minimum* of four base-64 digits.

I'd vote for five base-32 digits and force everything to lower case for the
hash computation.  Upon verification, we'd get full use of the 25-bit hash
with only one extra character in the local part.

25-bit? What are you going to do, throw away the bit or pad the next seven? I
think few implementations take 25-bits for hashing...???

If you go with base32, I'd say go with the multiples of 40-bits: 40, 80, 120...
They form base32 expressions without padding (=), and end on byte boundaries.

Michael R. Brumm