RE: BASE64 encoding of SRS hash may not work with some mail servers

2004-05-05 22:11:38
The SHA-1 hash is 160-bits long, so with four base-64 digits, we only use
the first 24-bits of it.  Using the first 25-bits is no different.  No
padding is necessary.  If you start converting the 160-bit hash to base-32
and stop after the fifth character, you've encoded the first 25-bits.

Ok, sorry. Thanks for the explanation. With that in mind, then I agree that a
lowercase 25-bit base32 (5 characters) is the best minimum recommendation for
hashes.