Re: let's get rid of SRS

2004-05-19 11:49:43
George Mitchell wrote:
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

Say, how would folks feel if we got rid of SRS and replaced it with a
less onerous workaround?

Would that be better for forwarders?

Not to be a wet blanket, but what exactly are you proposing to replace
it?  I'm not a big fan of SRS, but the forwarding problem has to be
solved somehow.                                   -- George Mitchell

"The forwarding problem" isn't much of a problem at all as I see it.

Forwarders _should_ set the envelope From to be the address doing the
forwarding (as would happen if you forwarded using procmail instead
of a .forward file). Mailing list software already does this, which
is why SPF isn't a problem for mailing list providers.

The main trouble is forwarders dealing with rejects and bounces, for
which local solutions should be adequate. SRS can be used as such a
solution, or simply maintain the connection if it is a forwarded address
and attempt delivery before accepting for delivery. I imagine that there
are many potential solutions that elude my meager abilities to conceive of yet.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/