Re: let's get rid of SRS

2004-05-19 13:00:59
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

Say, how would folks feel if we got rid of SRS and replaced it with a
less onerous workaround?

Whoa! When you drop a bomb like this, you can really hear it a mile wide! :) LOL

Personally, I have been using SRS (or SES, rather), for quite a while; and it
neatly serves its purpose, next to SPF.

SRS, contrary to popular belief, was, of course, not designed with the purpose
of making people's lives unnecessarily difficult. If you have a suggestion that
will easily solve the forwarder problem, I gladly join in, of course. But
without a workable alternative, just "getting rid" of it seems a bit premature.

Would that be better for forwarders?

There a quite a few things that would work. Using the existing EXPN command,
for instance, to indicate who you are forwarding for, would be one possible
solution. That would actually work excellently. Except, that you cannot count
on EXPN to work this way across mail servers yet. SRS works now, regardless of
whether the receiving mail server implemented something on their end. That is
its strength.

Cheers,

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org