softfail versus neutral?

2004-05-20 05:44:26
I am trying to understand the difference between 'softfail' and
'neutral' from the point of view of the email receiver; i.e., the one
who is doing the SPF query.

I understand that there is a need to have a state in between 'pass' and
'fail', and I understand that 'softfail' fits well in that location.
But so does 'neutral', as far as I can tell.

What practical reasons are there, from an email receiver's point of
view, to distinguish between 'softfail' and 'neutral'?  In other words,
what differences in filtering and processing could we reasonably expect
to do upon receiving 'neutral' email versus 'softfail' email, given
that each of these signals an SPF failure that is not meant to be
considered as unequivocal.

I'm asking this in relation to the future, hypothetical world where
SPF is the norm, not in today's world where everything other than
'fail' should be passed.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman