Re: The New SPF: overall outline

2004-05-20 13:00:19
  I must admit, that there's something about this new, converged,
proposal that just *feels* right, much more so than the Old SPF + SRS.
As corny as it sounds, my heart was beating a might faster as I was
reading this overview.
  However, I'm going to ask a question that I'm sure some on this list
are thinking about that I have a great deal of concern about.  Given
that this is somewhat of a merged proposal which includes pieces of
Caller-ID from Microsoft, what is the status of patent question?  Has
Microsoft been forthcoming about whether or not any patents that are
involved with be available under the an RF licensing policy?  This is of
paramount importance given that there are at least three GPLed MTAs I
know of that would not be allowed to implement patented algorithms under
RAND conditions.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator