Re: A note on SPF effectiveness

2004-05-25 09:15:58

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Drake" <christopher(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] A note on SPF effectiveness

DT> We are having _really_ good results with SPFv1 so far.
DT> 2 months ago our e-mail was nearly unusable for the spam.

SPF's got practically nothing to do with spam - it just tells you when
someone faked a sender IF the sending domain happens to have SPF in
their DNS TXT records (rare - and even rarer that spammers would pick
one of these domains) - so - I'm guessing you're confusing SPF with
something else?

If I'm wrong - please enlighten me: what on earth are you talking
about?  "50% SPF rejectable"???  Are you rejecting people because they
*don't* have SPF records?  sounds hard to believe you'd get no false
positives?

Blocking spam/virus/etc. that is faked to look like it is from your domain
in order to sneak past your email filters is extremely helpful. SPF makes
this much easier.