Re: Using SPF w/o XML

2004-05-27 08:29:25
This XML controversy has gone on long enough, and  I am tired of it.

XML is nothing more than the use of tags to identify what is between the
tags. Tags can be very useful when imbedding information in a long string
of text. When XML first started to come into use, I looked at it for just
such an application; a long string of text requiring format information to
be sent along with it. All of the tag standards that I looked at were far
too inefficient to justify their use, but the use of tags seemed to fit the
application. Since I controlled both the sending and receiving ends, I
invented my own tags.

SPF records (or CallerID for that matter) do not seem to fit into that
catagory. They are distinct and separable records, and the use of tags
simply adds to their bulk. If someone could explain a here-and-now
advantage, or even a specific down-the-road advantage, I would gladly be a
supporter. But to simply say that it is the modern way of doing things and
that there could be a future advantage is like using a cell phone to take
pictures; it's a gimmick that has nothing to do with the functionality of
the base product.

J.A. Coutts