RE: Re[2]: Article in Security UPDATE newletter

2004-05-27 08:35:20
RS>> Roy wrote:-
RS>> Again I ask - am I missing something about the way SPF
RS>> can be used  to fight spam ?

Chris Drake wrote:
I think the fundamental point you're overlooking is that
spammers are not stupid.  In fact - they're very very not
stupid. Look at all the "smarts" in the payloads of the
new breeds of spam, they've overcome blacklisting,
overcome content filtering, and generally adapted in
near-real-time to every hurdle placed in front of them.
SPF is *not* designed to prevent spam.  If SPF gets in the
way of any spammer, they'll bypass it or adopt it: you can
bet your bandwidth they're not going to let it block them.

I'm with Chris here, which is why I have cautioned against unrestricted
early optimism about accreditation/reputation systems that will be made
usable by SPF: we just don't know yet how good they are going to work.

If SPF curbs joe-jobbing and phishing that includes joe-jobbing I'd be
happy.

Michel.