Re: SPF: Not just a clever idea

2004-06-07 08:21:33
On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:07:52AM -0700, Michel Py wrote:
The number one priority is to DEPLOY, and if it means two different
parsers, be it. When SPFv2 is widely deployed, _then_ we can take care
of our dirty laundry because we will know by then what the market wants
to do. The proof is in the pudding.

I don't want to start another vote, but I'm sure a lot of ppl will not
implement SPFv2. See below.

Personally, I don't like XML. However, my position is:
- The merger HAS happened. This is not something that can be undone
without creating a schism and to those that have not grasped that yet, I
say grow up.

**The schism is already there.** Right now, many of the 'hangers on' dislike
what is to become SPFv2 because of it's xml, it's post-DATA stuff, and so on.
Those people (I consider myself one of them) will probably not go with SPFv2,
so in effect the community has split into a true open part that continue to use
SPFv1, ignoring SPFv2, and the part that chooses SPFv2, xml parsers, patended
technology, etc..

- If XML is such the crap that everyone says, it will not be successful
so there's little to worry about as long as there is an alternative.
OTOH, if the market chooses to implement XML in significant numbers it
means that there's a need for it, and I will implement even if I don't
like it.

Stop saying this everyone, it's just not true. There is a lot to worry, since
whether xml is succesfull or not, it will have to be incorporated into every
SPFv2 compliant implementation. If there were a choice of having a full SPFv2
implementation and one without the XML bloat, you can bet that a lot of us will
choose the one without xml and there is your schism again.

Koen

--
Sonologic, http://www.sonologic.nl/