Re: Standard reply for bounced forgeries from clueless admins?

2004-06-11 21:34:29
On Jun 11, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey(_at_)goldmark(_dot_)org> writes:

I have the converse of this problem.  I have clients calling me up
screaming, "Help! it looks like we've been sending viruses!"  Thus, my
enthusiasm for SPF.

Unfortunately, SPF doesn't solve that problem.  SPF only helps when the
sites that send the bounces based on virus data start doing SPF checks.

I do realize that. When I spoke of my "enthusiasm for SPF" I was expressing my desire for more sites not only to publish SPF records, but to make use of the ones that I've published.

Unfortunately I have no way to really measure the effect of publication of SPF records. The comings and goings of joe-jobs are too erratic judge.

There is tally of SPF records published, but we don't have a tally of domains (and how much email they get) that do SPF checks.

-j

-- Jeffrey Goldberg
 Jeffrey(_at_)goldmark(_dot_)org                   http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/