Re: 6o4.ca MTA statistics

2004-06-16 12:39:24
James Couzens wrote:
Now granted a fair bit of volume through my server is a fair bit of
Mailing-list traffic, I believe that almost 25% of mail through my
server are shown to be publishing SPF records.  Not bad.

A few weeks ago I had a look at some of my logs; for 340489 transactions
(about a day's worth on that particular machine)
I got 12633 unique "sender" domains, of which 477 had SPF TXT records
(~3.7%).

Damon Sauer has reported 6.2%  (as I remember).

[see MARID list, thread 'Measuring MARID']

Now I've repeated that on another day's logs and got 431047 transactions,
after knocking out local domains I got 19792 unique "sender" domains. If I
do my counting by transaction (mail from), i.e. counting the messages like
you did I get:

?all 4080
~all 1832
-all 1918
none 114691

for a total of 7830 'SPF domain' messages out of 122521 non-local messages.
I think this works out at about ** 6.4% ** only. I'm surprised it's so
high.

I'd guess that our figures may be rather more representative than yours.