Re: overall paradigm shift in email, plus rambling philosophical discussion

2004-06-20 19:06:35
Hi Meng,

<snip>

On the Internet, if the tradeoff is between:

 - the freedom to send mail without authentication, but
   without the confidence that it will be received,

IMHO - a gross oversimplification.  We should be working to improve
email.  Erasing peoples messages without warning is just plain wrong.
To use your own analogy - it's like your USA cops are just shooting
the dude in the car - "who gives a shit whether he's got a gun or
not".

I've lost at *least* 5 emails that I know of in the last 14 days, all
apparently destroyed by SPF filters WITHOUT ANY WARNING TO ME.

You need to go back to your drawing board ASAP and figure out what
you've done wrong, because SPF has multiplied my "false positives" by
at least an order of magnitude.

Please can you acknowledge (and/or reply to) the off-list emails I
sent to you and to pobox support, and if they ended up in your spam
folder, please tell me why (and if, as it seems from my recent losses,
it's because pobox are publishing SPF records - please fix this
problem for me and all your other customers ASAP).

Maybe you can also explain what exactly your pobox.com's SPF records
are even being published for in the first place?  You have no control
over what SMTP servers your customers use, and no control over how
recipient mail servers process your SPF records - so you should never
be publishing these on your forwarding service at all, or am I missing
something, or did you just publish wrong, or did you forget to specify
a mechanism (eg: "+any") to allow any SMTP server to send mails from a
domain, or what???

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake