RE: overall paradigm shift in email, plus rambling philosophical discussion

2004-06-22 11:47:13
From: John Glube
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 12:43 PM

From: Seth Goodman
Sent: June 22, 2004 11:09 AM

Seth, how was your weekend? I trust you had a
good break and all is well with you and yours.

Fine, thank you.  Great to get out of town on a beautiful weekend.

As I said earlier, although we may disagree on
some of the fundamentals, we have the same
objective which is to establish a sender
authentication protocol which can be easily and
quickly implemented to help stop UBE and prevent
online abusive behaviour.

That is certainly the case.  I'm sure everyone else here is after much the
same thing, and authentication is a necessary first step.  If we can
succeed, it should actually relieve some pressure from the reputable email
marketers who are suffering badly from guilt by association.  This may be
understandable, but I certainly realize it is unfair.  That, in turn, may
increase the public's acceptance of solicited email marketing, since they
will not be bombarded with the unsolicited stuff.  Everybody wins.

The real question is, once we have workable authentication widely deployed,
how do we effectively turn up the heat on the folks who are actually
breaking laws?  Blacklists are one thing, but they are a lot like temporary
roadblocks, they don't hamper the activity in the long run.  At least in
this country, we haven't had the political will to go after the perpetrators
for criminal violations, of which there are no shortage.  I hope that will
change.  How does the Canadian government treat email fraud?

Regards,

Seth Goodman