PointnClick article by Jill Keogh

2004-06-23 14:44:25
Detailed article by Jill Keogh on SPF and SenderID.  This is
the kind of thing we're going to see more and more of in the
media.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 06:46:22PM -0500, jill wrote:

| http://www.pointnclickinc.com/articles.htm

I want to make one clarification:

The core technology is called SPF.  The 20,000 DNS records
out there all start with "v=spf1 ...".  That's why we call
them SPF records.

When software looks up and interprets SPF records, it's
doing an SPF check.

You can perform SPF checks against the return-path.  When
run in that fashion, we have SPF Classic.

You can perform SPF checks against the PRA.  When run in
that fashion, we have SenderID.  SenderID also defines the
SPF semantics and syntax in the form of an XML Infoset.
When SPF is expressed in XML in DNS, you have a SenderID
record.  The details of SenderID continue to mature.

You can even perform SPF checks against the PTR domain
name and against the HELO name if you want.  There are
good reasons to do all this.  When you do all of the
above, we have a "Unified SPF" framework.

cheers
meng