Re: Bringing SPF/SRS to reality

2004-06-23 15:21:59
On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 13:46, Shevek wrote:

You've probably noted that I've been very quiet on list. However, Wayne
and I have been doing a huge amount of work to establish a working
solution with SPF and SRS, and this mail constitutes the first major
public announcement of what we have achieved. To date, we have:

* Libraries implementing both protocols.
  - http://www.libspf2.org/
  - http://www.libsrs2.org/

libspf-alt -> deceptively known as libspf2
libsrs-alt-shevek -> deceptively known as libsrs2

Its nice that the two of you have both insisted on continuing on with
this subversive behaviour allowing your ego to get the better of you and
using the above names which inherently lend themselves to confusing
would be visitors that they could be at a site that they think is mine.

For everyone else reading this blinking thinking .oO wtf? I offer the
following:

Rather than authoring things specifically for either of these two people
who despite their behaviour of late have been strong contributors to the
SPF project, that you consider also writing patches for the libraries
that I, and other people on this list have spent a great deal of time
writing.

Alternative libraries are healthy competition and only lead to better
software generally, and I am absolutely in favour of this.  However,
what I am NOT in favour of is the behaviour exhibited to intentionally
appear to supersede the works of myself and others in some official
manner.

This is a big project on a serious schedule. The best way you can help
is by DOING it. SEND a contribution. WRITE a patch. If you're unsure
as to what needs doing, Wayne and I have a big list of tasks and
people, with many holes into which you might fit. Ask me OFFLIST.

I STRONGLY object to the "OFFLIST" request.  This is a COMMUNITY
project, not a Shevek project.  I urge that any questions or comments be
directed to the SPF-DEVEL list.  Frankly this whole hostile takeover of
the development of SPF is sickening me.

KEEP DEVELOPMENT OF SPF ON THE SPF-DEVEL LIST.  How the HELL are us
other developers supposed to stay informed?

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,