RE: MAY vs SHOULD vs MUST

2004-06-23 15:31:52
At 05:54 PM 6/22/2004 -0400, you wrote:
From: "Ryan Malayter" <rmalayter(_at_)bai(_dot_)org>
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] MAY vs SHOULD vs MUST
To change this setting for non-Exchange Windows SMTP servers:
      1) Open up IIS manager,
      2) Expand the list of items under your server.
      3) Right-click on your SMTP server (usually called "Default SMTP

              virtual server"), then choose properties.
      4) Click on the delivery tab.
      5) Hit the Advanced button.
      6) In the "masquerade domain" box, type in the fully-qualified
domain
              name of that mail sever as it is seen from the outside
world in
              your public DNS servers. For example, if your public
internet
              domain is example.com, then this would probably be set
to something
              like "mail.example.com" or "smtp.example.com".
      7) Save your changes by clicking on OK on all windows still
open.
I highly recommend that you do not use common host names like "mx", "mail",
and "smtp". Recent virus's (such as Zafi) guess these common names rather
than use DNS to look them up. If I had it to do all over again, I would
certainly be using a more unique name for our mailserver host. It would be
difficult to chnage now.

J.A. Coutts