RE: MAY vs SHOULD vs MUST

2004-06-23 19:41:54
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:31:52 -0600, administrator wrote
I highly recommend that you do not use common host names like "mx",
 "mail", and "smtp". Recent virus's (such as Zafi) guess these
common names rather than use DNS to look them up. If I had it to do
all over again, I would certainly be using a more unique name for
our mailserver host. It would be difficult to chnage now.

I'm going to disagree.  Names like 'mail' and 'mx' are more obvious to human
beings.  If everyone starts calling their mail hosts other things, the viruses
will just look up the MX records, poke at the Outlook configuration, or pop up
an official-looking dialog box and get the user to fill in the name, so
there's no real benefit to obfuscation.