Re: milter-spf 1.41: Failed to set timeout value!

2004-06-25 06:14:04
Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
   New to the list...  I was trying to get milter-spf 1.41
working with sendmail 8.13.0 (solaris 9, perl 5.8.4 built as
sun4-solaris-thread-multi, installed Sendmail-PMilter-0.93 instead
of Sendmail-Milter-0.18 which does not build on solaris).
I followed the install instructions: got the needed perl modules
installed, got my sendmail.cf modified, stopped sendmail, and did:

/etc/mail/sendmail-milter-spf-1.41.pl smmsp

It coughed up the message: Failed to set timeout value!

Questions:

I can answer some of these but not all of them.

1) Why the message?  How to fix?

spf-milter calls Sendmail::Milter::settimeout as the first thing it tries to do, and this has returned an error status. I don't know why.

2) Is it a wise idea to run it as smmsp, or should I create
   a new pseudo-user for this?

I'd create a separate user.

3) Will version 1.41 work with sendmail 8.13.0?

Yes. I'm running this combination on Linux.

4) Is there a list specific to the spf milter?

Not that I know of.

5) Any plans for a SEARCHABLE list archive for spf-discuss?

Pass.

6) Assuming that I can get milter-spf working, I would
   like to run it some non-destructive mode for a while,
   eg tempfail emails without SPF listings, or just syslog
   the fact that a site doesn't have SPF (without rejecting
   the emails) -- run it in "test" mode.  How??

spf-milter only rejects mail that results in an SPF "fail" result by default (and you can even configure it to tag only if that's what you want). Mail from domains with no SPF records will not be rejected by spf-milter.

Paul.