Re: milter-spf 1.41: Failed to set timeout value!

2004-06-30 19:04:58
Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

Hi,
   New to the list...  I was trying to get milter-spf 1.41
working with sendmail 8.13.0 (solaris 9, perl 5.8.4 built as
sun4-solaris-thread-multi, installed Sendmail-PMilter-0.93 instead
of Sendmail-Milter-0.18 which does not build on solaris).
I followed the install instructions: got the needed perl modules
installed, got my sendmail.cf modified, stopped sendmail, and did:

/etc/mail/sendmail-milter-spf-1.41.pl smmsp

It coughed up the message: Failed to set timeout value!

Questions:

1) Why the message?

I have heard this before. It seems there are platforms on which the
Sendmail::Milter::settimeout call simply returns an undefined value (perhaps
because the timeout cannot be be set properly on those platforms?).

How to fix?

The Sendmail::Milter::settimeout call can simply be removed in thos cases.
The idea was to set the timeout to a large number, so that spf-milter
default timeout settings would not try and 'compete' with the more
fine-grained sendmail.cf T timings. In the next release I will no longer
make a fail to this call a critical error (but instead just have it spit out
a warning message).

2) Is it a wise idea to run it as smmsp, or should I create
   a new pseudo-user for this?

spf-milter needs no special privileges of any kind. I would accordingly go
with a totally unprivileged user.

3) Will version 1.41 work with sendmail 8.13.0?

Yes. The new libmilter has many new features, though (none of which are
supported in the stale Sendmail::Milter 0.18, of course), such as
smfi_progress(), to be called from eom_callback, to reset the timeout value,
telling sendmail the milter is still busy.

4) Is there a list specific to the spf milter?

No.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---