RE: Use of SPF with Shared MTAs (was Possible New Mechanism Prefix)

2004-06-26 14:02:28
(Rude side note:  You are using an outgoing mail server that you don't
trust.  This is a problem that you need to correct.)

No.  I trust the mail server to only be used by authorized users.  It's the
other users I don't trust.

From you previous posts, I understand that your ISP's MTA uses SMTP AUTH...

So, your ISP's MTA allows authenticated users to pretend to be anyone? On a
properly configured MTA, when you authenticate you are only allowed to send out
using particular e-mail addresses/domains assigned to your account.

Also, I know this might sound rude or uncaring, but if you are really worried
about being blacklisted because you use a shared MTA that is insecure, then
doesn't it seem reasonable that you would pay for access to a properly secured
MTA? I mean, there is no free lunch.

Michael R. Brumm