RE: What does PASS really mean?

2004-06-30 14:57:58
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Meng
Weng Wong
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 2:35 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] What does PASS really mean?

You are right.  Accurate definitions are an important part
of setting expectations.  Let's work on refining the
language in the draft and on the website so that people have
a clear idea of exactly what they're getting into.

Another important point about the Wizard that I forgot...

include: should only be used if the domain to be included has actually
published an SPF record.  Is it possible to have the wizard check the
include domain for an SPF record?

If it didn't find one, it could then say something like, "I'm sorry, but
example_isp.com does not publish an SPF record, so use of include: would
result in an error condition.  Please see {static page here} for advice on
creation of your SPF record."

That static page would talk about sending yourself e-mail and looking at the
headers to determine a best guess at what their SPF record would be if they
had one.

If we don't do this while major ISPs are not on board yet (Comcast are you
listening), there will be a lot of records that produce an error result.  I
would imagine that domain with an SPF record that will reliably error would
be a good for the spammers to forge....

Scott Kitterman