SPF record interpretation question

2004-07-05 01:42:58
Hi,

Please call me names if i ask a question that has allready been answered or
where the answer is readily available elsewhere (i searched...) Here's my
question:

I did a couple of host commands on some domains to look at example
spf-records in order to learn from them. I also queried pobox.com which
answered back with:
pobox.com text "v=spf1 mx mx:fallback-relay.%{d} a:smtp.%{d} a:emerald.%{d}
redirect=%{l1r+}._at_.%{o}._spf.%{d}"
now according to the rfc i can understand the %{d} for current domain
replacements, but the %{l1r+} part that somehow has to do with the
username-part of the emailaddress escapes me completely. i don't understand
what the redirectstatement tries to accomplish here.
I tried to understand reading the rfcdraft (section 7.2 among others) but i
don't get it. Can someone explain what happens and why someone would want to
use this sort of statements (i.e. why i might want to use them)

Thanks

Willem Kossen