Re: Re: wizard.html problems

2004-07-05 01:35:44
This is going way off topic but ok.

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 12:26:03AM +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Koen Martens wrote:

I've been told transitional can give you serious headaches,
since there are some problems with font size and IE or
something of the likes.

I've never ever used any kind of pixel design, because this
_never_ works.  At the moment the pobox wizard.html is again
visible, but still unusuable with my browser.

You're right. Pixel design is bad.

Please get rid of all these funny width= or downgrade to the
last working version.  Less than one week ago anything was
okay, maybe grab it from a backup.

Won't work, the wizard is now part of the whole site-design, which
is built using mason, a perl/template system. I don't know who
or what created this, but to be honest: it's a mess!

I get a page with a huge left margin (empty), no horizontal
scroll bar, and the relevant input forms are behind the right
edge.  If the validator says "valid" it won't add the "minor"
restriction that a layout might be okay only on 29'' monitors.
Please please kill all width=, kill anything using absolute
pixels.

I don't have a 29" monitor and it looks fine here. But I will ask Meng
to send me the latest version of the site, and see if I can get the
pixel stuff out.

problem, table layout never works everywhere as expected).

Right.

we seem to have fixed the wizard now
Unfortunately that's not the case.

Well, at least it validates :)

In theory I can start 4.61, but it is a royal PITA.  Just for
fun testing the fixed wizard, yes, that works, until I click
on BEGIN and get the home page instead of the wizard, strange.

Like tables, relative url's always seem to work different on some
platforms. It's a pity one has to give up relative url's to
support some broken browsers. Maybe it needs a base href..

Again, please downgrade.  Remove all width=, all valign=, all
style=, all scripts, and at least one layer of layout tables.

As soon as you have a working bare-bone version it's much
easier to add bells and whistles like background images.  The
technical stuff (wizard and why) MUST work on every browser,
as long as this browser knows forms and HTTP POST

You're describing some alternate universe that we will never live in.
There'll always be some legacy or broken browser left around
on which the site breaks.

And unlike Netscape 3.x it uses the alt attributes for PNGs,
that's much better than Netscape's "broken image" picture for
PNG.  If you want some help like converting PNG to GIF please
say so.  But actually the alt-texts are much better than any
image, because they correspond directly to SPF-syntax elements.

Gif is sort of a deprecated format, and I for one am happy to see all
gifs on the web being converted to png. I think sooner or later
you will have to buy a new computer or something, png is here
to stay.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html