Re: wizard.html problems

2004-07-06 12:17:57
Koen Martnes wrote:

You're describing some alternate universe that we will never
live in.

Not really.  I've seen numerous pages using CSS also working
with legacy (= 3.2) browsers.  Generally even better than all
old layouts, because browsers ignoring all CSS automatically
avoid most potential problems.  As far as I can judge it the
trick is to use _only_ CSS for the layout, and _only_ HTML for
the structure.  And anything which doesn't work without CSS is
utter dubious.

There'll always be some legacy or broken browser left around
on which the site breaks.

For simple forms like wizard or why that's not true, the old
working layout is the evidence.

Gif is sort of a deprecated format, and I for one am happy
to see all gifs on the web being converted to png

For more or less irrelevant icons GIF is still good enough,
and for the slideshows I have a PNG plugin.  But that's a
minor point, I was only surprised to see the wizard / why
pages with a browser knowing that it's too stupid for this
format, i.e. it displayed the alt= texts:  The effect was
better than with a browser supporting PNG.  But maybe that's
a matter of taste.  Netscape 3.x displaying a "broken image"
icon instead of the PNG resp. the alt=  is obviously stupid.

sooner or later you will have to buy a new computer or
something

Sooner or later I'll ask for a Web service instead of the
wizard / why forms, this could be really interesting... ;-)

                    Bye, Frank