Re: wizard.html problems

2004-07-04 15:26:03
Koen Martens wrote:

I've been told transitional can give you serious headaches,
since there are some problems with font size and IE or
something of the likes.

I've never ever used any kind of pixel design, because this
_never_ works.  At the moment the pobox wizard.html is again
visible, but still unusuable with my browser.

Please get rid of all these funny width= or downgrade to the
last working version.  Less than one week ago anything was
okay, maybe grab it from a backup.

I get a page with a huge left margin (empty), no horizontal
scroll bar, and the relevant input forms are behind the right
edge.  If the validator says "valid" it won't add the "minor"
restriction that a layout might be okay only on 29'' monitors.
Please please kill all width=, kill anything using absolute
pixels.

Apparently the "inner" tables are wider than the overall table
width, and my browser screws up if somebody wants to display
total width=1000 within a table width=200 (if that's the real
problem, table layout never works everywhere as expected).

we seem to have fixed the wizard now

Unfortunately that's not the case.

Just out of curiosity, why would you still use netscape
3.x anyway? Legacy hardware platform??

OS/2, and Netscape 3.x is small (3 MB binary) and loads very
fast.  I simply don't have the diskspace to install one of
today's monster browsers (Mozilla 1.x 40 MB ZIP, and rumours
that it works only on Warp 4.52, but I have Warp 3 Connect).

In theory I can start 4.61, but it is a royal PITA.  Just for
fun testing the fixed wizard, yes, that works, until I click
on BEGIN and get the home page instead of the wizard, strange.

Again, please downgrade.  Remove all width=, all valign=, all
style=, all scripts, and at least one layer of layout tables.

As soon as you have a working bare-bone version it's much
easier to add bells and whistles like background images.  The
technical stuff (wizard and why) MUST work on every browser,
as long as this browser knows forms and HTTP POST

Testing IBM WebExplorer 1.1h.  LOL, better than Netscape 3.x,
now that must be a first.  Still almost unusable, but at least
it offers a horizontal scroll bar to find the input fields.

And unlike Netscape 3.x it uses the alt attributes for PNGs,
that's much better than Netscape's "broken image" picture for
PNG.  If you want some help like converting PNG to GIF please
say so.  But actually the alt-texts are much better than any
image, because they correspond directly to SPF-syntax elements.

                    Bye, Frank