Re: wizard.html problems

2004-07-03 02:50:52
Koen Martens wrote:

I strongly feel that a browser that doesn't display w3c
compliant html is not a browser anyway (or needs upgrading).

Some features of the _strict_ dialects like no more name= in
anchors (or in a form modified by a JavaScript) won't work
with a legacy browser, and there was no <del> in HTML 3.2.

Anything else works.  But it's a very good reason to use the
_transitional_ dialects, and then you shouldn't mix CSS and
3.2 for colour effects, e.g. white CSS links on a blue 3.2
background result in blue on blue links with legacy browsers.
Don't ask how often I've seen this or worse effects... ;-)

Is lynx the browser that can not view the wizard in your
case??

Netscape 3.x is really upset if tags are not properly nested,
but generally works with all valid pages (minus the mentioned
strict and <del> cases, and of course there's no CSS at all,
and no CSS problems, so that's often an advantage).  No UTF-8
unfortunately, and no &#x hex. workarounds.  Still good enough
for the XHTML 1.0 subset corresponding to 3.2.  After all the
wizard worked for me until Scott added his improved texts, it
must be a really simple problem.

In theory I could also test Netscape 4.x, but that browser is
[censored] and I won't reenable its broken CSS support.  Bye.