Re: Why TXT zone record location for SPF and Sender ID data are domain default ( @ TXT "data") ?

2004-07-08 09:07:44
On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 06:47:58PM +0300, Andrew G. Tereschenko wrote:

| IMHO, I would like to add this zone data for my 24.odessa.ua  domain
| spf.24.odessa.ua. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ~all"
| Instead of current
| 24.odessa.ua. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ~all"
|
| As well for Sender-ID use separate named TXT record not a default domain
| one.
|
| This change are trivial to implement - while you are searching for TXT
| data - add spf/sender-id prefix on name you search.

We have considered this idea in the past, and chosen not to
proceed for a number of reasons.  The strongest reasons are:

if we did this we would use an underscore ---
"_spf.domain.com" and enough people believe that underscores
are not permitted in DNS to cause significant friction.

if we did this, it would be difficult to support wildcard
subdomains.

For more on the wildcard issue, see MARID discussions at
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg01815.html