Re: Why TXT zone record location for SPF and Sender ID data are domain default ( @ TXT "data") ?

2004-07-10 12:00:29
Ralf,

Thank you for your question.
I understand your argumentation against "spf" prefix. But this has nothing
against prefixed values as whole.

Number of possible TLA (Tree Letters Acronyms) are 26*26*26 = 17576

As well S, P and F are not widely used letters in regular english words.
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/frequency

Also SPF is not a valid english word.
Even more - F is somethat rare first letter.]

This result such a conflict has  ~0.01 % probability.
But unfortunaly there is at least SPF TLA already - "sun protection factor".
As well
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=SPF

I agree with you that we need to reduce this conflict probability. How about
using "spfv1" prefix ?
http://www.google.com/search?q=spfv1 result in ~207 pages and *all* of them
related to this technology.
v is rare as first letter. Combined with version number this is unique
indentifier for SPF technology.

This is perfect prefix - little, has a meaning SPF v 1, versioned (think
about future versions), while still legal for DNS (no "_").

I will defend prefixed SPF TXT records technology until somebody will
clearly show that there is real _technical_ problems with this.
Unfortunaly I can not afford visiting IETF meetings to do this in person -
so you must read my defence in this mailing list ;-)

--
Andriy G. Tereshchenko
TAG Software