Re: Why TXT zone record location for SPF and Sender ID data are domain default ( @ TXT "data") ?

2004-07-11 15:24:41
Hi Andriy,

I am a bit late coming to this thread but here is my opinion on it.

A prefix is useful if you want to differentiate between the TXT record at the domain itself, and the TXT record that is specific to SPF. This presumes that domains already have TXT records for some other usage, and that other usage is more important than SPF, and presumes that there will be a conflict due to size or content.

I have not found any of these factors to exist with the domains I have worked with. Most domains don't have TXT in them at all, and not at the top level, and for those that do, adding another TXT at the top level will not make the TXT response too big, so they can safely coexist.

Here is another point to consider... if SPF had its own RR type, we wouldn't need to worry about prefixes, right? You normally don't apply a prefix for MX, like "mx.mydomain.com", you just say "dig mydomain.com MX". This is how DNS normally works, and I think it's better to just use TXT in the same way, to avoid confusing the users. (Eventually if we get our own RR type this will be probably be the way it is used, just like we use MX today)

Anyway, I think that's why it is set up the way it is now. I can see your point, and there are valid reasons on both sides, not really right or wrong, I just think it's easier for admins to understand and implement this way.

gregc