Mixed Poliices [Re: spf-discuss record changing to -all]

2004-07-13 01:58:47
Sorry for the following tone, but I got to say this.

Come on! where is the common sense?

This is a perfect example of a MIX POLICY issue that SPF/SUBMITTER/SRS does
not address.

It is *fundamentally illogical* to make an assertion for a FROM::IP
association without having a consistent assertion with the HELO::IP.
Impossible!

All you had to do is check the HELO and the problem is solved!

You ask for all this compliancy for SRS/SUBMITTER/SENDERID?  Boy, are you
going to be severely disappointed.

Think about what you are saying:

If software needs to be compliant with SRS, SUBMITTER or SENDER, then it
must be compliant with HELO, including across all routes!!

And what if a system does support all this?

The spammer adapts and you will see this:

    IP: 82.77.64.5
    EHLO Schiopu.com
    MAIL FROM: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
submitter=anyone(_at_)schiopu(_dot_)com

with a compliant SPF spammer domain and with all the matching 2822 stuff
with or without submitter isn't provided!

Now what?   You solved nothing with this huge design change requirements!

Look, the smart vendor is going to what he things is required for 20+ years
of old SMTP standards.  Not what you and Microsoft wish to force down our
throats.  If it was a valid and sound idea, no problem.  But they are not.

If SPF2 is going to have HELO provisions, I am not going waste time with
submitter or senderid.

Also about relax provisions:

You know I have suggested to get rid of the relax provisions or to use it
with an stated expiration policy in the specification..  A domain is either
ready to use a SPF record or it is not.

You ignored that suggestion. I don't know why, "Expiration" ideas helps
people get going to completing what they need to do.  I don't know why you
didn't take it serious or even a considered it.

Look, SMTP started with an loophole that created many problems.

SPF attempts to plug up this LOOPHOLE ---- But introduces new ones!!

OY VEY!  It doesn't make sense.

Meng, again sorry for the tone,  but I just went to a software design change
cost estimate for SUBMITTER/SENDERID and the cost is too high with LITTLE
benefit!

For what? When all you have to do is be more consistent with HELO checking
as well and get rid of that stupid relaxed provision?  Or atleast make it
with an expiration concept?

Sure, I don't need SPF to implement these ideas.  In fact, I am finishing up
a "SPF Variant" to offer new options for my customers to support an
expiration concept for neutral and softfail.  I had it in before, but I took
it out. I'm putting it back in.

http://www.santronics.com