Re: To all SPF-ians: Time for Chocolate

2004-07-13 02:26:55
wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

[ ... ]

MicroSoft, like all corporations, is made up of individuals.  In the
case of the people from MS that I have talked to about SPF, I think
they honestly want to just get this working and don't care about the
licensing issues.  However, they do not speak for MS and they have to
go through MS lawyers.

Yes, I know that corporations are groups of individuals, but as you
point out, most of them can't officially speak for the company.  The
final decisions made in the name of corporations, and which result in
the corporate policies, are generally made by the major stockholders and
their representatives, irrespective of what any others in the company
might have said or done prior to that.

Let's hope that the individuals that happen to be MS lawyers and their
clients (the major MS stockholders) decide to take an approach towards
SPF that's different from what they have often done in the past with
other opensource software.

I suspect that, in the case of SPF, the MS delays in getting this
resolved is simply a matter of too much internal bureaucracy.

I'm sincerely hoping that this is the case.

I also suspect that MS's cooperation with SPF does not mean that the
entire company has changed.

-wayne

--
 Lloyd Zusman