Re: SPF is not usable as legal measure against spammers

2004-07-16 15:18:54
administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com said:

That also is a problem. For many months now, and after repeated requests,
our upstream provider has still not delegated authority to us for our "C"
class domain. They act as secondary for our forward lookup, but we can't
seem to get through the beurocrats to the right person to create the
reverse zone. So for us, you will always get a reverse lookup that does
not
correspond to the forward lookup.

This has been a problem every time we have changed suppliers, and we have
"C" class network which is relatively easy to delegate. Anyone with less
than a "C" class network is sh_it out of luck.

That sounds like a contract issue for your next network.  As for matching
records?  Personally, I don't care as long as the lookup returns
something.  I can't imagine an ISP who wouldn't act when the client's
network is affected.  Maybe you should present it as a service outage and
point to contract language defining their role as a provider.

And delegating on non-octet boundaries is possible, but not all providers
are willing to do anything non standard.  Standard being defined by policy
or practice.