Re: some more about my new install

2004-07-16 16:02:43
On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 01:31:29PM -0700, cak+spf(_at_)dimebank(_dot_)com wrote:
Now, another issue - I got an SPF bounce that was surprising.
It would appear that mail forwarding across domains doesn't work
quite right with SPF - certainly not as hoped/expected:

Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.7.1 <cak(_at_)dimebank(_dot_)com>... Please see
http://spf.pobox.com/why(_dot_)html?sender=cak(_at_)dimebank(_dot_)com&ip=66.80.9.250&receiver=moose.dimebank.com

This is on a piece of mail sent by me to pac(_at_)aratar(_dot_)com(_dot_)

Now, pac's mailbox on ulmo.aratar.com forwards to
pac(_at_)dimebank(_dot_)com, which
comes back to my server. Except that now it looks to spfmilter/libspf
as if ulmo.aratar.com is originating mail from cak(_at_)dimebank(_dot_)com,
which isn't allowed by the TXT record ... so it bounces.

That seems broken - I have to add every host that might forward mail
to my machine? And, it would seem, anyone out there who might have
a forwarding alias somewhere (say, from one big mail system to another)
would have to be entered in many TXT records to allow mail to flow?

Am I missing something obvious here?

I think what you're missing here is http://spf.pobox.com/faq.html#forwarding

You could also whitelist the forwarders in your local spf checking
implementation.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html