Re: MX -> TXT SPF widlcard records

2004-07-20 14:22:49
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Murthy Gorty wrote:

But, serverID xml TXT records require that _ep.*.mydomain.com contain the xml
text record and this is not supported by DNS systems.

Did I state this problem correctly? Is there any proposal that will solve
this problem?

Don't use XML.  The many other reasons why it is a bad idea for pre-DATA
(SPF1) authentication have been discussed ad nauseum.  I allowed that XML
might be appropriate for post-DATA authentication,
but it will be a long time before I start parsing XML from strangers
to validate email, and it will certainly be *only* after it passes
SPF1.  I see post-DATA authentication as being primarily useful for
large mail providers like hotmail - where content filtering is too dangerous to
apply en masse.